Friday, April 11, 2008

Jesus: Not as offensive as He used to be

So Emily turns on American Idol last night and Seacrest announces that the show will open with the contestants singing "Shout to the Lord" again. I immediately begin telling Emily how they aren't going to sing "Jesus", and how mad that makes me. I then get up to check on Grace getting ready for bed, and as I'm walking out of the room I heard it. They sang "My Jesus..."! That was pretty cool, and it did shock me.

In other more important matters:

Be sure and invite your friends to join you at worship this week. We're continuing the "Worship is..." series. This week the emphasis is, "Worship is Life-changing". If you haven't already done so, read Isaiah 6:1-8.

I was reading in the book of Judges this morning when God used part of the story of Gideon to remind me of something important. He's our king. He is our ultimate authority. The Israelites were so anxious to have a human king, and when they tried to recruit Gideon for the job he reminded them that God should be their only king. If I will remember that God is my authority that will make a big difference in the choices I make.

I'm looking forward to worshipping together with y'all on Sunday. Don't miss it!

No comments: