Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Where change starts

I'm sure you've already heard, it's an election year. No matter who the candidate is, campaign speeches all talk about the same thing: change. Candidates discuss the changes that are needed in America, the world, and our communities. Political speeches contain a lot of what a college professor would call "deconstructionism". I don't know if a college professor would really call it that, because I'm not sure that is actually a word, but all political candidates are good at what we're good at, observing what's wrong with the world and talking about it. Whether it's the government, the church, the local recreation department, or Wal-Mart all of us are good at finding fault or "deconstructing" the way things are being done.

I ran across a quote from Leo Tolstoy today that I think is appropriate for all of us when it comes to this natural tendency we have to deconstruct everything.

"Everybody thinks of changing humanity and nobody thinks of changing himself"

Perhaps the best place to begin a deconstruction of the way things are is in my own life. That should give me plenty to work on for the next 50 years or so.

No comments: