In case you missed it, this past week we talked about God's vision for Freedom Fellowship. The vision hasn't changed, it's the same as it was when we got started a little over three years ago. In short, God's vision for Freedom (and all churches) begins and ends with lost people. People who do not have a relationship with Jesus are where God's heart is. I prepped something for use in the message that I ended up leaving out for time's sake, but I thought I would share it here. It involves the side effects of God's vision.
If you watch any tv at all you have seen numerous ads for different types of prescription drugs. I have some opinions about our society being over-medicated that I won't get into right now, but the thing about the ads that makes me laugh is the list of side effects. In some of the commercials more time is spent listing the potential side effects than explaining the benefits of the medication. There is a anti-depression medicine that the list of side effects includes: headache, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea, fatigue, and insomnia. If you weren't depressed before taking this drug the side effects will guarantee you'll be depressed once you start. I also heard a sleeping pill ad that said a side effect was drowsiness. Really? Drowsiness? Who would ever think a sleep aid would have that side effect?
If we truly embrace God's vision for His church we may experience the following side effects:
- loss of comfort due to sacrifices made to reach the lost
- loss of income due to practicing the teachings of Jesus in your business
- increased sensitivity to the pain of others
- strange desire to leave home in order to help ease the suffering of strangers
- unexplained joy despite circumstances
- an inability to tolerate selfishness and pretense in other followers of Jesus
- loss of a comfortable church that always does things the same way
- discovery of the true purpose you were created for
Beware! You may experience some or all of these side effects as you pursue the vision God has for you and His church.