Friday, May 9, 2008

The opposite of me

I have been reading through 1 Corinthians this week, and I read the famous love chapter this morning. I don't know how many times I have read the words from 1 Cor.13, but I know it's so many times that it's tempting to just skim over them because of their familiarity. That's kind of what I was doing when I got to the part where Paul describes love: patient, kind,
not self-seeking etc. That's when it hit me. Love is the opposite of me. Really I guess I should say love is the opposite of us. If we are honest, we'll admit that we don't naturally live by the code of love. Sacrifice and giving up our rights for the good of others aren't natural. Responding with kindness and not being easily angered isn't easy when we've been offended. My natural tendency is to take care of me and mine. Love's natural tendency is to put other's first. That's why allowing Jesus to transform me is so important. I can't love on my own. I can't sacrifice if it's up to me. I need to be changed by Him.

Here's some random thoughts for the weekend:

- I am looking forward to a great Mother's Day Sunday this weekend. If you like to read ahead, be sure and check out Matthew 5:13-16 before Sunday. Also, Lindsay Long (used to be Holliday) will be singing with the band on Sunday. Justin and Lindsay were a huge part of Freedom's worship team in the early days. They now live near Anderson, and it will be great to see Lindsay again this weekend. Unfortunately, Justin can't play the drums Sunday because he's on a special assignment with the USAF for a few weeks.

- Greer Family Fest is Friday and Saturday. Every year on Mother's Day weekend we love to hang out in downtown Greer and eat, ride, talk, paint, and do all the other fun stuff available. Come check it out. It's a great place to connect with our community.

- Keep praying for our Future Development team as they look for opportunities involving land and buildings. Things have changed somewhat over the last week. I will be giving a full update about it around the beginning of June.

- This week's message is one of the more encouraging ones I have worked on in awhile. I think you will walk out this week empowered to make a difference in our community. See you Sunday!

No comments: