Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Put some shoes on

What a surprise to wake up this morning and see snow on the ground! It was only what John Cessarich would call a "dusting", but it was enough to get Grace (my 7 year-old) excited. After waking up, she immediately went out on the deck to check things out. Keep in mind that the deck was covered with this light layer of snow, the temperature was around 25 degrees, and that she had just gotten out of bed so she had no shoes or socks on. None of those things mattered to her. What she was excited about was the snow, and she had to touch it for herself whether she had on the right clothes or not.

Today is the first day back in the office for 2008. I don't know how you normally feel coming into a new year, but I hope you can enter into it with some excitement and anticipation. I would love to be able to greet 2008 with the same level of excitement that Grace had about the snow. Even though I don't know what this year holds for our church or my family, I should be running into it with all the energy I have, ready to face each new day head-on, whether I'm wearing the right clothes or not.

As far as leading our church, I feel very much like I might need some new clothes. Day after day, I am in awe of the fact that God has allowed me the chance to lead Freedom Fellowship. It has been a joy and a challenge for the last couple of years to be the pastor of a new church. As 2008 arrives I do feel like I am heading excitedly into the snow without shoes and socks on. The coming year is full of unlimited potential for our church. If we are going to seize the opportunities before us, we will need to do some things differently. That's what I mean about not having the right clothes. I believe this year for our church will be about fine-tuning some things we do, totally revamping others, and putting on "new clothes" that will make us more effective at impacting our community. "New clothes" could be some new leadership, better organization, higher levels of accountability, or new systems. Whatever the changes work out to be, God knows what's best for our church and our community. I sure am glad He does. Not only does He know, but He will tell us, and provide the means for us to impact our community. That makes 2008 worth getting excited about.

2 comments:

blake said...

i had a different response this morning... i walked outside and had to come back inside to regroup and try again.

good stuff though. i want to go into this year without shoes and socks, too. (figuratively and literally)

Anonymous said...

My new year's resolution is to open myself up to the Holy Spirit and let Him lead whereever He wants to. I want to run to Him without shoes and socks and be free and unencumbered with the world. Just dance in the snow barefoot with hands lifted high and full of joy.