Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Leave these five alone

Tonight on American Idol the contestants will all be singing Beatles songs. Even though I was zero years old when the Beatles recorded their last album, I have listened to and loved their music as long as I can remember. I don't want to seem like a snob who places the Beatles on some pedestal of superiority, but if I were in charge of the show there would be several songs that would be off limits. Here are five:

Strawberry Fields Forever: This song has reached iconic status, and is regarded by many people as John Lennon's best work. As far as I know, the actual Beatles never performed this song live, so I don't think Amanda Overmeyer or even Chikezie should be allowed to.

Let It Be: Paul McCartney wrote this song after a dream he had about his mother. It was during a turbulent time in the history of the band, and he dreamed that his mother, Mary, was telling him that everything would be alright.

All You Need Is Love: John Lennon wrote this song for a television program called "Our World" which was the first ever live global television show. The producers of the show wanted the band to perform a song with a message that people all over the world could understand.

A Day In The Life: I don't think we have to worry about any of the contestants attempting this one. I think that they would be crazy to try. This song is really like two separate compositions that are linked together by huge orchestra sections. If anyone tries this one my guess is that Simon will hate it no matter how well it's done.

Eleanor Rigby: I believe this is one of the most moving songs ever written. If you can hear the lyrics about loneliness and not feel something, you need to be sure you're still breathing. I guess it's because I'm a pastor but the line that says, "Father McKenzie writing the words of a sermon that no one will hear" always gets to me.

Your thoughtful comments are encouraged. :)

4 comments:

blake said...

the beatles should be put on a pedestal. they pretty much are the reason music is good now.

but - i disagree... let the idol contestants try any song they want. i think the worst they can do is suck so bad and remind us all of how awesome the beatles are.

just wait (as much as i hate to admit it) david archuleta will probably sing 'let it be' or whatever other awesome song there is - and nail it. give the contestants a chance... the worst they can do is make the beatles look better.

Chip Reeves said...

I'm with ya on the "Father McKenzie" line. I'm sure I've preached that sermon a few times.
"Let It Be" was performed well, tonight. The rocker dude, though, needs to listen to Fr. Mc's preaching and promise never to sing "Eleanor Rigby" again. Chikeze!

Anonymous said...

Let me respectfully disagree with my brother in arms. David Cook hit a homer with his version of Eleanor Rigby. I thought of you, Cliff, when he intro-d it knowing that you had put that one off limits. His was easily the best song of the night for me. Chikeze did much better than I thought. Here's hoping the country chick Christy Lee Whatever gets the boot tonight. She should have been arrested for impersonating a singer after that performance.

Respectfully, one of your three bloglines subscribers

Cliff Marshall said...

Jamie - I agree with you. David Cook did get it right with his version of Eleanor Rigby. Overall, I was pleasntly surprised with Beatles night.