Friday, July 17, 2009

VBS wrap-up and Sunday preview

This has been an incredible week. I turned off my alarm at 3:00 a.m. this morning because I knew I wanted to sleep past the 6:30 a.m. time it was set for. I woke at 7:45, which is later than I've slept in awhile. I think I have what you might call a VBS hangover. Here are some final facts and thoughts about the week, along with scripture for Sunday:

378 - the number of hot dogs that Ken and Mary Floyd and their crew (which included Trey and Jill Frick) grilled last night. When all the fuss was over last night there were only a handful left.

Amazed - The comment I got from lots of folks about the number of volunteers that were helping every night. The number was over 100 each evening. I am thankful God allows me to pastor a church where people are anxious to work hard.

0 - the amount of rain that fell during VBS this year! We have done outdoor VBS for four summers now, and this was the first year we escaped with out anything getting rained out.

30 - the approximate number of times I got dropped in the dunking tank. It was funny that the only adult who knocked me down was my lovely wife, but there were plenty of little ones who did me in. John Nick Hannah knocked me in every time he got up there.

50 - the approximate number of times Donny got dropped. I went first so I think by the time he got up there the kids were warmed up. By the way John Nick put him down as well. The Greenville Drive need to offer that boy a contract.

Pleasantly surprised - the feeling I had when I woke up this morning and wasn't half as sore as I expected to be after my time in the tank.

405 - amount of dollars raised by the kids during the Penny War. The girls beat the boys, but the winners are the children in Botswana (that's in Africa by the way) who will use that money to buy library books.

Too many - individuals that need to be thanked by name for all they did to make VBS happen this year. I don't want to leave anyone out, so if you helped out at all with any element of VBS, THANK YOU!!! What you have done in the lives of kids cannot be measured.

This Sunday we will continue our current message series. We will be talking about "The Commitment". Here's a list of scriptures you might want to read to be ready: Luke 5:31-32, Matthew 28:18-20, Romans 10:9, Matthew 3:13-17.

Also, Mike Breece is putting together a VBS highlights video that we will show Sunday. Be sure you are there!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds like you had a great! I'm so glad the rain held off!!

Robin Cathcart said...

So glad you had a great week. I know many lives were touched.