Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Luke 10:17-20

I haven't blogged in almost a week now. What should I write about to get back in the swing of things? How about something from God's Word.

I was reading Luke the other day when I cam across the story in chapter 10 where Jesus sends out 72 of His followers to do ministry. When they return from their time on the road they are amazed at the power they experienced during their time away. verse 17 "The seventy-two returned with joy and said, "Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name." The response of Jesus is what I found most interesting. He said, "I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. HOWEVER, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

We are so easily influenced and enamored with power. So much of what drives our society is a quest for more power whether it be in the area of money, politics, or fame. Jesus reminds His followers that power is not what life is about. Even the power that He gives is not what's most important. Instead our thoughts should always be close to the fact that He has saved us. Having your name written in heaven, which only comes through Him, is a far greater gift than any display of power we'll experience on this earth.

Dwell on some of that today as you deal with the people God puts in your path. Remember that our self-worth comes from the fact that He made us and died for us. It doesn't come from our accomplishments, even if they are miraculous acts straight from Him.

1 comment:

The Critters said...

Thanks, Cliff! I enjoyed thinking on what you shared in your blog today. And I praise the Lord that my name is WRITTEN! Critter