Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rainy days


I can't get enough of this rain we're having! I find myself running to the window every time it starts like I can't believe it's real. At the risk of offending Sammy, who hates when church planters make everything on their blogs spiritual, seeing so much rain after a long time without it reminds me of a verse from Isaiah.
"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."
- Isaiah 55:10-11
God's word (popularly known as the Bible) does for our life what the rain we've had this week does for the earth. It refreshes us, nourishes us, and helps us grow. The cool part about those verses is that God makes a promise that His word "will accomplish" what He desires. Pastors (of which I am now one) are often guilty of making people feel like they need our help to understand what the Bible really means. These verses remind us that God's word is a gift for everyone to have, and God will use His Spirit to speak to us as we read it.
Don't wait until Sunday to hear what the pastor has to say about God's word. Read it for yourself this week, and allow it accomplish the purpose God sent it for! You'll be glad you did.

No comments: