Friday, August 22, 2008

Facebook and Life Groups

I've had a Facebook account for just a couple of months now. I was late getting on the internet connection site band wagon, but not that late for people my age. Now before you think that I'm a real forward thinking guy who understands the power of the internet, I didn't set up my account. I went to lunch one day, and when I walked back in the office Blake said, "You need a Facebook account so I went ahead and set you one up." My response was, "Why do I need a Facebook account?" Instead of trying to convince me he said, "Just try it out, and you'll see."

It didn't take long for me to see why being on Facebook was a good thing. It is one more way for me to connect with people. I can communicate with folks in a quick, easy to use format, and the biggest bonus of all is that I have been able to re-connect with friends I haven't seen in years as well. Just last week I found a friend of mine on Facebook that I grew up with that I haven't talked to in 20 years. Now we are sending each other messages to catch up on what we've missed in each other's lives.

No matter what other people use it for, (games, political agendas, etc.) Facebook for me is all about making connections. This Sunday at Freedom, you will have the opportunity to sign-up to be a part of a Life Group if you haven't already. Life Groups are all about helping you make connections with other folks at Freedom, and about helping you make a deeper connection with God. If you are nervous about signing-up because of past experiences or because you are just a private person by nature I would say the same thing to you about Life Groups that Blake said to me about Facebook: "Just try it and you'll see."

See you on Sunday!

No comments: