I was out of the office on Monday and Tuesday, so that means message prep got pushed back to Wednesday and today. As a result, this is the first chance I've had to think about blogging. That's probably o.k. since most of the stuff I'm wanting to write about is silly and/or irrelevant. Here's the silly stuff I'm thinking about today:
- Avatar will win Best Picture Oscar this year, and it shouldn't. Yes, I know that what I just typed is heresy to some people, after all this is a movie that recently had a mountain named after it! Avatar winning all of these awards is proof that style wins out over substance all too often. Visually Avatar is the best movie I have ever seen, but I don't judge a film just on what it looked like. The story was a rip-off of Dances With Wolves, and the large majority of the characters are very one dimensional. The main villain (ripped marine with scar on head) is a character I've been seen in tons of action films over the years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Avatar was a bad movie. It was visually stunning and very entertaining, and I left feeling that I got my money's worth. I'm just saying it's not Best Picture worthy.
- I saw a dude on Wade Hampton today who was dressed like the Statue of Liberty. I'm sure you have seen these folks. They are advertising for Liberty Tax service. The thing that made this guy different was that he was talking junk to a man stopped at a red light. I'm no expert, but I bet the folks who are paying him to stand by the road and wave would frown on this behavior. I can't say that I blame the guy too much. Roadside Statue of Liberty has got to be one the worst jobs in America, plus being a male dressed as the Statue of Liberty would make it worse.
- I hope some of the folks who are hosting Super Bowl parties at Freedom have invited you to join them at their home. I got lots of good reports on Sunday from some of the newer families at Freedom that have already been invited. The whole reason we promote these parties is so folks will take the opportunity to get to know one another better. I hope you will take advantage of it.
- People are looking forward to snow here in the next couple of days. My official snow policy is that I don't believe it will snow until I see it on the ground.
- I'm seriously considering an internet fast. Well not the entire internet, more like Facebook and Twitter. I couldn't go completely internet free since we use gmail and google calendar at the office. I haven't thought too much about what that would mean for this wildly popular blog. I purposely did not look at Facebook and Twitter until 3:30 today, and I was more productive. Plus, I just felt better. If I decide to fast from these sites for a period of time I will let you know how it goes.