Monday, December 7, 2009

Feed the World

For the second Christmas music video I have chosen "Do They Know It's Christmas?". The song and video were put together very quickly in November of 1985 in order for the song to be released for the Christmas season that year. What began as an idea for raising some money for the famine in Ethiopia grew to become a world-wide emphasis that led to USA for Africa and then the Live Aid concerts of the next summer. I have been hearing this song on 98.9 and 102.5, and each time I hear it I am reminded of what Christmases were like back in high school. If you're a child of the 80's like me, I hope this will bring back some pleasant memories.

3 comments:

Mills said...

What if the living members got back together 25 years (YES -- That's right, you know) later and did it again? Bono, Boy George, Sting, George Michael, Geldoff, Collins, McCartney, -- and, of course -- J.T., Dennis Thomas, and Bob "Kool" Bell!

Anonymous said...

Every time I hear this song it instantly reminds me of going to Dutch Square during Christmas break.....The Record bar, Barrell of Fun, Cromers, and grabbing as many nugget samples from the old lady standing out in front of Chick Fil A as we could. It also reminds me of the progressive suppers that we used to have in our youth. Isn't it ironic that this song about hunger reminds me about all the food I ate.

Great song. It also led to the group Hearing Aid who sang the song "We're Stars." They were the heavy metal version of USA for Africa

I can hear Ronnie James Dio in my head right now singing "Who Cries for the children? I do."

Cliff Marshall said...

Mills, One of the things I've always wondered about this video is how the guys from Kool & the Gang got invited to this gathering of British pop stars. I love the reunion idea! Someone get Bob Geldof on the phone.