Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Matter of Trust

When I was in high school Billy Joel released a new song and video that I thought was cool. It was different because he was playing the guitar in the video instead of the piano. The song was called, "A Matter of Trust". (yes, I have it on my ipod) That song title popped in my head yesterday as I was working on this Sunday's message. I will be teaching on asking the best question ever in regards to our money. It's amazing how much stuff there is in scripture about money. The Old Testament and New Testament both are filled with verses about money and how we should use it. So what does this have to do with Billy Joel? It seems to me, as I read the scripture that the issue we struggle with most about money is a matter of trust. Do we really trust Jesus when He said that God will provide for our needs? Do we really trust the bible to be true when it says in Malachi 3:10 that if we give to God He will give us more than we can find storage space for?
From my personal experience, God can be trusted, even in the area of money. I don't know how it works (I was never good at math) but the more I give the less I have to worry about where the money to provide for my family will come from. Giving to Him even when we don't think we can afford to is not spreadsheet, bottom line, make the numbers add up issue. It's a trust issue, or as Billy Joel sang, "it's always been a matter of trust"

No comments: