Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Getting rescued

One of my favorite things about our worship services is how lots of members of the band lead in the singing and the introduction of the songs. It's always good when someone other than me gets to share a cool insight from God with everyone in attendance. Andrea Owens sings with the band regularly, and whenever she leads into a song I'm amazed at what God says through her. Let me share with you what she said before the song "Rescue" a couple of weeks ago:

I love TV, I always have, and one of my favorite shows growing up was Gilligan's Island. That show had some of the goofiest episodes, but it had one common theme, and that was getting rescued. They tried a million different ways to get rescued from the island, but you know how you can tell the show wasn't real? They never prayed about it. Now I don't care if you're the biggest atheist in the world, if you see a headhunter coming at you, you're gonna start praying!
Psalm 91:14-15 says, "If you'll hold on to Me for dear life, " says God, "I'll get you out of any trouble. I'll give you the best care if you'll only get to know and trust Me. Call Me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times; I'll rescue you."
Notice that the verse didn't say, "I'll remove you from bad times" it said, "I'll be at your side in bad times." When Jesus rescues us, often it's not by removing us from the storm, but by reassuring us in the middle of the storm, and swimming beside us through the storm. We don't have to be out of harm's way to know we are in His care. If we ask Him to, He will never leave us. That's our rescue.

That's something we all need to be reminded of.

No comments: